Power Vision Engineering is a company based in Switzerland, focusing on modelling, simulation and analysis of hydroelectric power plants dynamic behavior. Our company has expertise in the fields of Hydraulic, Mechanical and Electrical engineering and promotes multiphysics approaches which includes the dynamics of each part of the installation with rational methodology.
The main services provided by Power Vision Engineering are:
Numerical simulation of transient phenomena in hydroelectric power plants including:
- Hydraulic circuit and hydraulic machines (pump-turbines, Francis, Pelton, Kaplan turbines, pumps),
- Electrical installation and electrical machines (Generator, Varspeed, transformer), rotating inertias,
- Control system (turbine speed governor, voltage regulator, power system stabilizer (PSS)),
- Connection to islanded/interconnected power networks.
Numerical simulation of periodic phenomena:
- Part load vortex rope excitation, full load instabilities, rotor-stator interactions,
- Speed no load stability,
- Power quality,
- Control/command strategy,
- Control/command parameters,
- Emergency procedures,
- Annual production,
Power Vision Engineering also develops and provides dedicated simulation tools for specific hydroelectric power plants with standard simulation scenarios
Century 21: The Energetic Challenge
Hydroelectric Development to Face Increasing Energy Demand
The electricity world consumption is expected to double within the next 30 years. Hydropower, which is already a major actor in the electricity market with 19% of the world production, will be considerably developed as it features high power density, flexible production, fast time response and has the advantage of not producing greenhouse effect gases. However, this development should be achieved with the highest technical standards to reduce environmental and social impacts.
New Exploitation Strategies: Increase of Hydroelectric Power Plant Solicitation
Modern hydropower has to face new challenges related to completely different exploitation strategies leading to an increase of the solicitation of the entire machine. Due to the deregulated energy market, hydroelectric power plants are increasingly subjecting to off design operation, start-up and shutdown and new control strategies. Consequently, the operation of hydroelectric power plants leads to transients phenomena, risk of resonance or instabilities.
To be competitive on the energy market, the specific power and efficiency of hydro units, which are already high, are constantly increased in order to meet economical issues but lead to higher loading of the structure of the turbines. Consequently, manufacturers, consultants and electric utilities of hydro power plants need integrating new technologies and methodologies for improving dynamic performances, ensuring the safety and increasing the competitiveness of hydroelectric power plants.
The Numerical Simulation Solution
Design, operation and regulation of hydroelectric power plant require the ability to predict the dynamic behavior of the power plants taking into account various aspects of the exploitation of the installation. Numerical simulation of the dynamic behavior of hydroelectric power plant provides a safe way to determine system solicitations.
Power Vision Engineering provides support and expertise for modelling, simulation and analysis of the dynamic behavior of hydroelectric power plant. Power Vision Engineering is using the state of the art software enabling the simulation of an entire power plant for troubleshooting, optimization and transient analysis purposes.
Power Vision Engineering References
Cleuson-Dixence, Switzerland, 1200MW
Hydroelectric Power Plant:
- Hydraulic Transient Analysis, 3xPelton Turbines
- Emergency Closing Law Optimization
- Energetic Coefficient Analysis
- Primary Control Services Optimization
Avce, Slovenia, 185MW Pumped Storage
- Hydraulic Transient Analysis, 1xFrancis Pump-Turbine
- Air-Vacuum Valve Influence Analysis
- Surge Tank Optimization
- Surge Tank Scale Model Test Follow-up
FMHL+, Switzerland, 420 MW Pumped Storage
- Expertise and Hydraulic Transient Analysis
- Existing 4x60MW + new 2x120MW Ternary Units
- New Surge Tank Optimization
- Transient Analysis for Existing PSPP Modifications
EDF, France, 900 MW Pumped Storage
- 900MW Pumped Storage, 4xFrancis Pump-turbines
- Hydroelectric Transient Analysis
- Grid Code Compliance Evaluation
- Primary and Secondary Control Capability Assessment